Re: what happen to the OSDs if the OS disk dies?

Op 13 aug. 2016 om 03:19 heeft Bill Sharer <bsharer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> het volgende geschreven:

If all the system disk does is handle the o/s (ie osd journals are on dedicated or osd drives as well), no problem.  Just rebuild the system and copy the ceph.conf back in when you re-install ceph.  Keep a spare copy of your original fstab to keep your osd filesystem mounts straight.

With systems deployed with ceph-disk/ceph-deploy you no longer need a fstab. Udev handles it.

Just keep in mind that you are down 11 osds while that system drive gets rebuilt though.  It's safer to do 10 osds and then have a mirror set for the system disk.

In the years that I run Ceph I rarely see OS disks fail. Why bother? Ceph is designed for failure.

I would not sacrifice a OSD slot for a OS disk. Also, let's say a additional OS disk is €100.

If you put that disk in 20 machines that's €2.000. For that money you can even buy a additional chassis.

No, I would run on a single OS disk. It fails? Let it fail. Re-install and you're good again.

Ceph makes sure the data is safe.

Wido

Bill Sharer