Re: CephFS: Future Internetworking File System?

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM, Matthew Walster <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been following Ceph (and in particular CephFS) for some time now, and
> glad to see it coming on in leaps and bounds!
>
> I've been running a small OpenAFS Cell for a while now, and it's really
> starting to show its age. I thought I'd ask whether anyone's considered
> CephFS for a similar role?
>
> As I understand it, Ceph authentication/authorization is very coarse (i.e.
> granularity down to the mount point level only) and doesn't operate any form
> of encryption between client and server, so I was wondering whether anyone
> was using a form of intermediary proxy to provide these semantics to the end
> user?

I haven't heard of anybody doing much with this *yet*. Do note that
you can do a little better than mount point; we provide server-side
checking of UIDs and GIDs now — although I suddenly see it doesn't
seem to be documented at
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/client-auth/#path-restriction.
shows with paths.

We're doing sporadic spurts on enabling CephFS to work nicely through
an NFS Ganesha export as well, since that's our long-term model for
supporting OpenStack Manila. We've found a few problems around
anonymous users and things that are being worked on as well.
-Greg