Re: Ceph upgrade questions

Hello,

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:12:30 +0200 (CEST) Daniel Delin wrote:

> >Note that 0.94.6 has a massive, data destroying cache-tier bug, so you
> >will want to wait until .7 at least if you're using cache-tiering, or
> >read up on the work-around for that bug alternatively.
>
> This sounds interesting, is there a bug number for this ?
Read the "data corruption with hammer" thread.
That thread also contains the work-around.
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/12814

Supposedly this isn't present in Jewel (but then again, I'm betting real
money on other easter eggs being present in there).

> Been playing
> around with cache tiering in 0.94.6 and have run in to some issues, not
> seen any data destruction yet, but I had problems disconnecting the
> cache tier from the backing pool.
Also discussed here recently/frequently.
See the "Can not disable rbd cache" thread.
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/14865

>Luckily just a test pool so I can just
> destroy both tier and backing pool, but I would really like to get cache
> tiering going on my production pool, it gave a nice performance boost
> when I tested it.

It can work quite well, depending on your work load (cache size vs. really
hot objects) and the cache mode chosen.

I certainly solved my overload cluster problems described in the thread
"Reducing the impact of OSD restarts (noout ain't uptosnuff)"
with a cache tier.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/