Re: Ceph upgrade questions

Hello,

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:47:04 -0400 Shain Miley wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> We are currently running ceph version 0.80.11 on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS.

Used to be 0.80.10/11 on Debian Jessie here.

> I would like to upgrade the cluster so that we can stay a little more
> current on the releases and hopefully take advantage of some of the
> exciting new features coming out soon.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1)Which version of ceph is considered the most stable at this point (I
> assume we should be looking at either Hammer or Infernalis)?

Hammer, because it is a stable LTS version.
No bug fixes for Infernalis once Jewel is released (any day now).

If there's anything you really, really want in Infernalis, still Hammer
and then Jewel.

> 2)It looks like we have the option of going from firefly directly to
> hammer or going from firefly to giant then to hammer.  I am wondering if
> anyone who has already been through this already, has any information on
> which path is likely to produce the the least number of issues for us
> moving forward.

Direct to Hammer, quite painless process in all of my 3 clusters.

Note that 0.94.6 has a massive, data destroying cache-tier bug, so you
will want to wait until .7 at least if you're using cache-tiering, or read
up on the work-around for that bug alternatively.

> 3)It looks like 12.04 is no longer supported after hammer...I am
> wondering if it would be better to upgrade to 14.04 then start to
> upgrade the ceph cluster...or should I upgrade to hammer then move onto
> ubuntu upgrades from there?

I'd upgrade to 14.04 first in your shoes, this will also allow you to move
to Jewel once that had some time to settle down.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/