Re: State of Ceph documention

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:09:52 -0600 Adam Tygart wrote:
>
>> The docs are already split by version, although it doesn't help that
>> it isn't linked in an obvious manner.
>>
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
>>
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
>>
> Indeed, but besides finding it, somebody going explicitly to the Hammer
> version would be be foiled by the fact that is has NOT been updated like
> master to reflect the need for setting absolute cache sizes.
> Which at best would be confusing during tests and at worst in production
> is liable to run your cluster into the ground...
>
>>  Updating the documentation takes a lot of effort by all involved, and
>> in a project this size, it probably needs a team of people. From what
>> I can tell, all the documentation is in the ceph source tree, and
>> submitting pull requests/tickets is probably a good option to keep it
>> up to date. From my perspective it is also our failure (the users),
>> not updating the docs when we run into issues.
>>
> I have a feeling some dedicated editors including knowledgeable and vetted
> volunteers  would do a better job that just spamming PRs, which tend to be
> forgotten/ignored by the already overworked devs.

They're actually pretty easy to review generally, because they don't
require as much testing as code changes.   I can't see any stale
documentation PRs in github at the moment
(https://github.com/ceph/ceph/labels/documentation).  So I'd say
documentation PRs are really quite welcome, don't hesitate to send
them.

John