Re: State of Ceph documention

Hello,

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 23:09:52 -0600 Adam Tygart wrote:

> The docs are already split by version, although it doesn't help that
> it isn't linked in an obvious manner.
>
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
>
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/hammer/rados/operations/cache-tiering/

Indeed, but besides finding it, somebody going explicitly to the Hammer
version would be be foiled by the fact that is has NOT been updated like
master to reflect the need for setting absolute cache sizes.
Which at best would be confusing during tests and at worst in production
is liable to run your cluster into the ground...

>  Updating the documentation takes a lot of effort by all involved, and
> in a project this size, it probably needs a team of people. From what
> I can tell, all the documentation is in the ceph source tree, and
> submitting pull requests/tickets is probably a good option to keep it
> up to date. From my perspective it is also our failure (the users),
> not updating the docs when we run into issues.

I have a feeling some dedicated editors including knowledgeable and vetted
volunteers  would do a better job that just spamming PRs, which tend to be
forgotten/ignored by the already overworked devs.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Rakuten Communications
http://www.gol.com/