Re: State of Ceph documention

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 5:24 AM, Nigel Williams
<nigel.d.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Adam Tygart <mozes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The docs are already split by version, although it doesn't help that
>> it isn't linked in an obvious manner.
>>
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/cache-tiering/
>
> Is there any reason to keep this "master" (version-less variant) given
> how much confusion it causes?
>
> I think I noticed the version split one time back but it didn't lodge
> in my mind, and when I looked for something today I hit the "master"
> and there were no hits for the version (which I should have been
> looking at).

This is certainly a real issue.  I have regularly run into people who
have searched for the cephfs documentation, seen the master version,
and then got confused when the master functionality wasn't available
on whatever stable branch they were running.

Some projects have big angry warning banners at the top of their
master branch documentation, I think perhaps we should do that too,
and at the same time try to find a way to steer google hits to the
latest stable branch docs rather than to master.

John