Re: How to backup hundreds or thousands of TB

On 05/07/2015 12:10 PM, John Spray wrote:
> On 06/05/2015 16:58, Scottix wrote:
>> As a point to
>> * someone accidentally removed a thing, and now they need a thing back
>>
>> I thought MooseFS has an interesting feature that I thought would be
>> good for CephFS and maybe others.
>>
>> Basically a timed Trashbin
>> "Deleted files are retained for a configurable period of time (a file
>> system level "trash bin")"
>>
>> It's an idea to cover this use case.
>
> Until recently we had a bug where deleted files weren't purged until the
> next MDS restart, so maybe we should just back out the fix for that :-D
>
> Seriously though, I didn't know about that MooseFS feature, it's
> interesting that they decided to implement that.  It would be fairly
> straightforward to do that in CephFS (we already put deleted files into
> a 'stray' directory before purging them asynchronously), but I think
> there might be some debate about whether it's really the role of the
> underlying filesystem to do that kind of thing.

Aren't snapshots something that should protect you against removal? IF
snapshots work properly in CephFS you could create a snapshot every hour.

With the recursive statistics [0] of CephFS you could "easily" backup
all your data to a different Ceph system or anything not Ceph.

I've done this with a ~700TB CephFS cluster and that is still working
properly.

Wido

[0]:
http://blog.widodh.nl/2015/04/playing-with-cephfs-recursive-statistics/