Re: How to backup hundreds or thousands of TB

On 06/05/2015 16:58, Scottix wrote:
As a point to
* someone accidentally removed a thing, and now they need a thing back

I thought MooseFS has an interesting feature that I thought would be good for CephFS and maybe others.

Basically a timed Trashbin
"Deleted files are retained for a configurable period of time (a file system level "trash bin")"

It's an idea to cover this use case.

Until recently we had a bug where deleted files weren't purged until the next MDS restart, so maybe we should just back out the fix for that :-D

Seriously though, I didn't know about that MooseFS feature, it's interesting that they decided to implement that. It would be fairly straightforward to do that in CephFS (we already put deleted files into a 'stray' directory before purging them asynchronously), but I think there might be some debate about whether it's really the role of the underlying filesystem to do that kind of thing.

John