Re: How to backup hundreds or thousands of TB

Snapshot on same storage cluster should definitely NOT be treated as
backup

Snapshot as a source for backup however can be pretty good solution for
some cases, but not every case.

For example if using ceph to serve static web files, I'd rather have
possibility to restore given file from given path than snapshot of
whole multiple TB cluster.

There are 2 cases for backup restore:

* something failed, need to fix it - usually full restore needed
* someone accidentally removed a thing, and now they need a thing back

Snapshots fix first problem, but not the second one, restoring 7TB of
data to recover few GBs is not reasonable.

As it is now we just backup from inside VMs (file-based backup) and have
puppet to easily recreate machine config but if (or rather when) we
would use object store we would backup it in a way that allows for
partial restore.

Mariusz Gronczewski, Administrator

Efigence S. A.
ul. Wołoska 9a, 02-583 Warszawa