Re: ceph-osd - No Longer Creates osd.X upon Launch - Bug ?

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 06:24:45PM -0800, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > >
> > > This looks reasonable to me!
> > >
> > > Do you mind adding a few test cases in qa/workunits/cephtool/test.sh to go
> > > along with it?

Will do. Thanks.

> > > Usual disclaimer: we discourage getting creative with the osd ids because
> > > they are allocated as an *array* in memory, so skipping entries consumes
> > > some extra memory.. this can become significant if there are large
> > > gaps and/or clusters are large.
> >
> > These options used to exist and were removed quite deliberately. I
> > don't remember the entire conversation at this point but we'll need to
> > find and address the concerns raised then before reintroducing the
> > ability to explicitly set OSD IDs. IIRC I was on the losing end of
> > this, because it's definitely behavior we should be offering to
> > admins, but the issues were significant enough we had to eliminate the
> > option. Methods of preserving the user-facing utility like adding OSD
> > names were deemed too difficult to implement. :(
> >
> > (I think it largely had to do with serious issues over the
> > availability and location of data when OSDs disappear, but new ones
> > with the same ID are present. And what you do when somebody then
> > resurrects the original OSDs. But there might have been other things
> > too.)
>
> The part I remember was just that 'ceph osd create <id>' wasn't a use and
> idempotent command.  I don't think reusing ids is the problem, though if
> it is then it is still a problem since osd create will re-use the first
> available id.  I think all this option lets us do that we didn't before is
> leave gaps in the id space?

I think so too -- leaving gaps should be the only difference comparing
to what we already have. I was wandering though if I might need to do
something with those nonexistent IDs in the gap, e.g. pre-allocating
them explicitly with some flags combination. It looks like I don't...

--
Mykola Golub