Re: ceph-osd - No Longer Creates osd.X upon Launch - Bug ?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The "ceph osd create" could be extended to have OSD ID as a second
> >> optional argument (the first is already used for uuid).
> >>
> >>   ceph osd create <uuid> <id>
> >>
> >> The command would succeed only if the ID were not in use.
> >>
> >> Ron, would this work for you?
> >>
> >> I have a patch as a proof of concept:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/trociny/ceph/compare/wip-osd_create
> >
> > This looks reasonable to me!
> >
> > Do you mind adding a few test cases in qa/workunits/cephtool/test.sh to go
> > along with it?
> >
> > Usual disclaimer: we discourage getting creative with the osd ids because
> > they are allocated as an *array* in memory, so skipping entries consumes
> > some extra memory.. this can become significant if there are large
> > gaps and/or clusters are large.
>
> These options used to exist and were removed quite deliberately. I
> don't remember the entire conversation at this point but we'll need to
> find and address the concerns raised then before reintroducing the
> ability to explicitly set OSD IDs. IIRC I was on the losing end of
> this, because it's definitely behavior we should be offering to
> admins, but the issues were significant enough we had to eliminate the
> option. Methods of preserving the user-facing utility like adding OSD
> names were deemed too difficult to implement. :(
>
> (I think it largely had to do with serious issues over the
> availability and location of data when OSDs disappear, but new ones
> with the same ID are present. And what you do when somebody then
> resurrects the original OSDs. But there might have been other things
> too.)

The part I remember was just that 'ceph osd create <id>' wasn't a use and
idempotent command.  I don't think reusing ids is the problem, though if
it is then it is still a problem since osd create will re-use the first
available id.  I think all this option lets us do that we didn't before is
leave gaps in the id space?

sage