ceph-osd - No Longer Creates osd.X upon Launch - Bug ?

Hello,

The latest ceph-osd in Firefly v0.80.8, no longer auto creates its osd.X
entry, in the osd map, which it was assigned via ceph.conf.

I am very aware documentation states "ceph osd create", can do this job,
but this command only assigns the next sequential osd.X number.  This is
highly undesirable.  For _years_, we have assigned number ranges to each
OSD server for an organized multi-tier (SSD / SAS / SATA) crush map.
(leaving gaps in osd numbering, naturally.)  Skipping 'ceph osd create'
entirely.

We are now facing a problem that an OSD remove+replace, now can't use
it's former osd.X ID.  Making a huge mess of documentation, number
patterning, and disk labeling.

Is there a work-around to forcefully create an osd.X number??