Re: ceph-osd - No Longer Creates osd.X upon Launch - Bug ?

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Mykola Golub wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 08:33:39AM -0700, Ron Allred wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The latest ceph-osd in Firefly v0.80.8, no longer auto creates its osd.X
> > entry, in the osd map, which it was assigned via ceph.conf.
> >
> > I am very aware documentation states "ceph osd create", can do this job,
> > but this command only assigns the next sequential osd.X number.  This is
> > highly undesirable.  For _years_, we have assigned number ranges to each
> > OSD server for an organized multi-tier (SSD / SAS / SATA) crush map.
> > (leaving gaps in osd numbering, naturally.)  Skipping 'ceph osd create'
> > entirely.
> >
> > We are now facing a problem that an OSD remove+replace, now can't use
> > it's former osd.X ID.  Making a huge mess of documentation, number
> > patterning, and disk labeling.
> >
> > Is there a work-around to forcefully create an osd.X number??
>
> The "ceph osd create" could be extended to have OSD ID as a second
> optional argument (the first is already used for uuid).
>
>   ceph osd create <uuid> <id>
>
> The command would succeed only if the ID were not in use.
>
> Ron, would this work for you?
>
> I have a patch as a proof of concept:
>
> https://github.com/trociny/ceph/compare/wip-osd_create

This looks reasonable to me!

Do you mind adding a few test cases in qa/workunits/cephtool/test.sh to go
along with it?

Usual disclaimer: we discourage getting creative with the osd ids because
they are allocated as an *array* in memory, so skipping entries consumes
some extra memory.. this can become significant if there are large
gaps and/or clusters are large.

Thanks!
sage