Re: Need help from Ceph experts

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 12:28:48 +1000 Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> On 19 December 2014 at 11:14, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:12:09 -0800 Craig Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Firstly I'd like to confirm what Craig said about small clusters.
> > I just changed my four storage node test cluster from 1 OSD per node
> > to 4 and it can now saturate a 1GbE link (110MB/s) where before it
> > peaked at 50-60MB/s.
>
> What min//max sizes do you have set? Anything special in your crush map?

What specific values are you thinking about?
But no, nothing special, no tuning at all with that cluster.

The gain is simply from having more spindles to distribute the load
(remember rados bench runs 16 threads by default and I use 64) amongst.

> Did it improve your write speed and latency?

I was referring to write speed (bandwidth), for sequential reads a single
HDD can saturate a 1GbE link, let alone 4.

As for latency, somewhat. But this cluster isn't pure testing, no SSDs, so
it is slow no matter what.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/