Re: Need help from Ceph experts

Hey Debashish,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 6:21 AM, Debashish Das <deba.daz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am very new to Ceph & have couple of questions -
>
> 1. Can we install Ceph in a single node (both Monitor & OSD).

You can, but I would only recommend it for testing/experimentation. No
production (or even pre-production) cluster with any meaningful amount
of use should be a single node.

> 2. What should be the minimum hardware requirement of the server (CPU,
> Memory, NIC etc)

There is no real "minimum" to run Ceph, it's all about what your
workload will look like and what kind of performance you need. We have
seen Ceph run on Raspberry Pis. I would suggest taking a look at some
of the hardware guides and reference architectures available though. A
few examples would be:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/start/hardware-recommendations/

https://engage.redhat.com/inktank-hardware-selection-guide-s-201409080912

https://engage.redhat.com/inktank-ceph-storage-for-dell-s-201409081132

http://karan-mj.blogspot.com/2014/01/zero-to-hero-guide-for-ceph-cluster.html

http://www.supermicro.com/solutions/datasheet_Ceph.pdf

> 3. Any webpage where I can find the installation guide to install Ceph in
> one node.

Since a single node isn't really demonstrating a realistic Ceph
install we decided that a multi-node install was more effective, which
is what you'll see in our docs. However, if you'd like a contained
Ceph install to experiment with you can try the latest qemu advent
calendar image ( http://www.qemu-advent-calendar.org/#day-18 ) or try
the installation instructions from an older version of the doc:

http://ceph.com/docs/v0.67.9/start/quick-start/

While that doc is quite outdated I'm sure you can see how to adapt the
more recent install guide to that procedure if you're really set on
doing a single node install. I would probably just use the qemu image
for experimentation and then move to the multi node install.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director Ceph Community || Red Hat