Re: Need help from Ceph experts

I think this is it:  https://engage.redhat.com/inktank-ceph-reference-architecture-s-201409080939

You can also check out a presentation on Cern's Ceph cluster: http://www.slideshare.net/Inktank_Ceph/scaling-ceph-at-cern

At large scale, the biggest problem will likely be network I/O on the inter-switch links.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Robert LeBlanc <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm interested to know if there is a reference to this reference architecture. It would help alleviate some of the fears we have about scaling this thing to a massive scale (10,000's OSDs).

Thanks,
Robert LeBlanc

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Craig Lewis <clewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Patrick McGarry <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2. What should be the minimum hardware requirement of the server (CPU,
> Memory, NIC etc)

There is no real "minimum" to run Ceph, it's all about what your
workload will look like and what kind of performance you need. We have
seen Ceph run on Raspberry Pis.

Technically, the smallest cluster is a single node with a 10 GiB disk.  Anything smaller won't work.

That said, Ceph was envisioned to run on large clusters.  IIRC, the reference architecture has 7 rows, each row having 10 racks, all full.

Those of us running small clusters (less than 10 nodes) are noticing that it doesn't work quite as well.  We have to significantly scale back the amount of backfilling and recovery that is allowed.  I try to keep all backfill/recovery operations touching less than 20% of my OSDs.  In the reference architecture, it could lose a whole row, and still keep under that limit.  My 5 nodes cluster is noticeably better better than the 3 node cluster.  It's faster, has lower latency, and latency doesn't increase as much during recovery operations.