Re: What a maximum theoretical and practical capacity in ceph cluster?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:33:55 +0100 Mariusz Gronczewski wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:32:34 +0900, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:30:23 +0400 Mike wrote:
>
> > The fact that they make you buy the complete system with IT mode
> > controllers also means that if you would want to do something like
> > RAID6, you'd be forced to do it in software.
>
> If you are using cheap consumer drives, you definitely DO want to use
> IT mode controller (and software RAID if needed), non-RAID-designed
> drives perform very poorly behind hardware level abstraction. We had
> LSI SAS 2208 (no IT mode flash avaliable) and it just turned disks off,
> had problems with disk timeout (disks were shitty segates *DM001, no
> TLER) so it dropped whole drive from raid. And using MegaCli for
> everything is not exactly ergonomic.

Well, he wasn't telling us exactly which HDDs he was going to use. There
are some cheap drives (HGST and certain Toshiba modesl comes to mind) that
behave rather well.
But I totally agree on the Seagate DM001 drives, they are the reason we no
longer consider buying Seagate for at least 1-2 drive generations.

> But yeah, 72 drives in 4U only makes sense if you use it for bulk
> storage

That was really my point, 72 OSDs will wear out any and all dual CPU
combination there is, without cycles to spare for a software RAID6.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/