Re: What a maximum theoretical and practical capacity in ceph cluster?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:32:34 +0900, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:30:23 +0400 Mike wrote:

> The fact that they make you buy the complete system with IT mode
> controllers also means that if you would want to do something like RAID6,
> you'd be forced to do it in software.

If you are using cheap consumer drives, you definitely DO want to use
IT mode controller (and software RAID if needed), non-RAID-designed
drives perform very poorly behind hardware level abstraction. We had
LSI SAS 2208 (no IT mode flash avaliable) and it just turned disks off,
had problems with disk timeout (disks were shitty segates *DM001, no
TLER) so it dropped whole drive from raid. And using MegaCli for
everything is not exactly ergonomic.

But yeah, 72 drives in 4U only makes sense if you use it for bulk
storage

--
Mariusz Gronczewski, Administrator

Efigence S. A.