anti-cephalopod question

Hello,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 05:21:18 -0400 Robert Fantini wrote:

> Christian.
> I'll start out with 4 nodes.  I understand re-balancing  takes time. [
> Eventually I'll need to swap out one of the nodes with a host I'm using
> for production..   But that'll be on a Saturday afternoon.. ]

Your call, but it might not be pretty or short depending on the volume of
data involved.

> However I do not fully get this:
>

> *"No, the default is to split at host level. So once you have enough
> nodes in one room to fulfill the replication level (3) some PGs will be
> all in that location "*
>
> *can you please send this:*
>

> *non default firefly cepf.conf settings for a 4 node  anti-cephalopod
> cluster ?   *

There is nothing you need to configure in any way special with the 4 nodes
you mentioned (2 in each location), provided that each holds one OSD only.

To avoid any unwanted recovery until you've reviewed things, use
"mon osd downout subtree limit = host"
in your ceph.conf or any of the other ways discussed to disable OSDs
being set out.

Christian