anti-cephalopod question

Hello Christian,

Let me supply more info and answer some questions.

* Our main concern is high availability, not speed.
Our storage requirements are not huge.
However we want good keyboard response 99.99% of the time.   We mostly do
data entry and reporting.   20-25  users doing mostly order , invoice
processing and email.

* DRBD has been very reliable , but I am the SPOF .   Meaning that when
split brain occurs [ every 18-24 months ] it is me or no one who knows what
to do. Try to explain how to deal with split brain in advance.... For the
future ceph looks like it will be easier to maintain.

* We use Proxmox . So ceph and mons will share each node. I've used proxmox
for a few years and like the kvm / openvz management.

* Ceph hardware:

Four  hosts .  8 drives each.

OPSYS: raid-1  on ssd .

OSD: four disk raid 10 array using  2-TB drives.

Two of the systems will use Seagate Constellation ES.3  2TB 7200 RPM 128MB
Cache SAS 6Gb/s

the other two hosts use Western Digital RE WD2000FYYZ 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB
Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s   drives.

Journal: 200GB Intel DC S3700 Series

Spare disk for raid.

* more questions.
you wrote:
"In essence, if your current setup can't handle the loss of a single disk,
what happens if a node fails?
You will need to design (HW) and configure (various Ceph options) your
cluster to handle these things because at some point a recovery might be
unavoidable.

To prevent recoveries based on failed disks, use RAID, for node failures
you could permanently set OSD noout or have a monitoring software do that
when it detects a node failure."

I'll research  'OSD noout' .

Are there other setting I should read up on / consider?

For node reboots due to kernel upgrades -  how is that handled?   Of course
that would be scheduled for off hours.

Any other suggestions?

thanks for the suggestions,
Rob