Re: using ssds with ceph

On 03/17/2013 06:14 PM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Mark Nelson wrote:
On 03/17/2013 05:40 PM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
Hello all,
Our dev environment are quite I/O intensive but didn't require much
space (~20G per dev environment), for the moment our dev machines are
served by VMWare and the storage is done in NFS appliances with SAS or
SATA drives.
After some testing with consumer grade SSD we discovered that built
speed could be greatly improved by using SSD but having SSD in NFS
appliances is very costly.
So I'm thinking of using consumer grade or even intel s3700 SSD and ceph
as the backend storage. Is there any cons using SSD for data storage
(apart from the price per GB that is higher than SAS drives) ?
Were you thinking of using CephFS? If so, be aware that it's not really
recommended for production use yet. If you were thinking RBD, that's
fine, but you should be aware that you may need to do some tweaking and
have a lot of concurrency to get high IOPS. I'd highly recommend
testing out your use case on a small scale (maybe a 1 or 2 nodes with a
couple of SSDs before diving in head first.
There are users doing this who seem quite happy with it. Not sure how many or if they want their names on the list…

I'm also wondering how ceph will play with trim if a given rbd device is used at 50% of its capacity but some several blocks (from the rbd client point of view) are removed and then reallocated. Basically what I'm not sure is that new objects will be created (thus allowing the space used by the old one to be trimed) or if it will just update existing objects that form the rdb device.

Matthieu.