Re: redmine: Adding custom URL field to capture pull request URLs?

Hi Nathan,

On 11/16/18 3:48 PM, Nathan Cutler wrote:

> Actually no. Often, interrelated backports are combined into a single
> PR, but your PR ID field (and the current practice of putting the full
> URL in the description) works not only for 1:1 but also N:1 (multiple
> trackers in a single PR).

OK.

> When the master tracker is copied to create the backport trackers, the
> description is wiped. I.e. a fresh backport issue will have an empty
> description. When the backport PR is opened, its full URL is placed in
> the description.

OK. So in theory, the ID of that backport PR could be entered in the
custom field as well.

> To find out the URL of the master PR, one clicks on the "Copied from"
> link to get to the master tracker issue.

Makes sense.

>> Hmm, but the entire URL is still available? You right-click on the ID
>> and select "Copy Link Location". Or am I missing something?
>
> When you click on PR URLs hundreds and thousands of times, there is a
> big difference between clicking once on a full URL that is staring at
> you front-and-center in the description (see my second point, above),
> and going through the process you describe, on a custom field.

I agree, it requires a change in long established habits.

> In short, the problem the PR ID field is solving has already been solved
> for backports, and applying it on the backport workflow would be a step
> in the wrong direction IMO. Like fixing something that isn't broken.
>
> Let me ask this: why does it matter whether backport issues have the URL
> in the description or in a custom field?

It certainly does not matter for me - I do not want to impose a
different workflow on you. If you don't think the current process can be
improved by using this field, by all means please stick to your
established practice - it still works as before. I just wanted to have a
more structured/consistent method for keeping track of our ongoing
dashboard work.

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)