Re: redmine: Adding custom URL field to capture pull request URLs?

Hi Nathan,

On 11/15/18 8:02 AM, Nathan Cutler wrote:

> Yes, each backport PR has a separate issue in the backport tracker, and
> the full PR URL is placed in the _description_ (not in a custom field).
> Also, there is no "need review" status in the backport tracker.
>
> Theoretically, the script could of course take these two differences
> into account. If the PR is targeting a stable branch, it would change
> the tracker status to "In progress" instead of "Need review" and put the
> PR URL in the issue description instead of putting the PR number in the
> PR ID custom field.
>
> So, yes, under these conditions I agree.

Thanks! So even for backports there is a 1:1 relationship between
tracker issues and their corresponding pull requests that could be
captured with this custom field.

> But if you are suggesting to use the new PR ID custom field in the
> backport tracker, I'd rather not, for the following reasons.
>
> First, the backport issues are created by copying. This brings in a lot
> of duplicated information from the master issue - especially the entire
> description (which can be very long) and all attachments (if any). The
> script that creates the backport issues wipes the description clean and
> deletes any attachments. Later, when the backport PR is opened, its full
> URL is placed in the description.

Just to clarify - is this the URL of the *backport PR*, or a link to the
*original PR* that is being backported?

> This, in my view, is better than having an empty description, which
> is what I presume we'd have if we switched to the PR ID field (I have
> not checked if it's possible to disable the description field).
>
> Second, having the PR URL as the sole piece of information in the
> description really puts "front and center" what is, in the huge majority
> of cases, the only salient/relevant piece of information regarding the
> backport. Occasionally backport issues have some additional
> backporting-specific information attached to them in the form of
> comments, and this works well.
>
> Third, we have scripting that automates the process of creating the
> backport tracker issues and backport PRs, as well as
> updating/cross-linking the two. Someone (presumably me) would need to
> modify the scripts to accommodate the new custom field, yet the
> usefulness of the field for backporting is not clear.

The primary intention of this field is to have a consistent way of
associating a pull request with the corresponding tracker issue, as
there did not seem to be a consistent / reliable method for doing so
(other than pasting the URL into a comment). I think it does not matter
if the issue is an actual bug/feature or a backport issue - they all
have a corresponding PR on github that addresses the issue.

> Fourth, as far as I can tell, the Pull Request ID field only takes a
> number (at least, I got "Pull request ID is not a number" when I tried
> to put a URL in it). I find having the entire URL of the PR readily
> available in the tracker issue highly convenient and I'm reluctant to
> give up that convenience.

Hmm, but the entire URL is still available? You right-click on the ID
and select "Copy Link Location". Or am I missing something?

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)