Re: iSCSI target management in the Mgr Dashboard

Hi Jason,

thanks a lot for your reply!

On 09/13/2018 02:42 PM, Jason Dillaman wrote:

>> For creating and managing the actual iSCSI targets, we intend to
>> communicate with the REST API provided by the ceph-iscsi-cli tool:
>>
>> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-iscsi-cli/blob/master/rbd-target-api.py
>

> Great. Since this REST API isn't currently versioned (for the same
> reasons as the dashboard REST API), I think there might be some
> value in having the dashboard interact w/ a "rbd-target-client"-like
> module that abstracts away all the REST calls under a clean and
> mockable API. Otherwise, I think we would want to make sure we keep
> an up-to-date test case in the ceph-iscsi-cli repo against all the
> REST APIs that the dashboard is invoking.

This makes sense - I think it would be ideal if both components
(dashboard and the ceph-iscsi modules) would be part of the same git
repo, so they can be easily developed and tested together.

Would it make sense to merge these two into the main ceph git repo? In
the end, their documentation is already maintained there anyway ;)

> The custom kernel patches in SUSE to support the kernel-based
> implementation is still blocked from being merged into the upstream
> kernel until a "librbd"-like kernel module is developed to provide
> shared RBD handling between the krbd block driver and LIO target
> backend. I know David Disseldorp had expressed some interest in
> tackling this, but I don't know its current status.

Thanks for the insight; we'll contact David once he's back from leave.

> Regardless, I think the existing ceph-iscsi-XYX userland tooling can
> be quickly adapted to transparently support both the SUSE
> implementation and the upstream implementation of RBD over iSCSI.

That was my hope - it would be really helpful if the dashboard would not
have to bother about which implementation is actually active.

> They have previously passed python3 flake8 tests, so I wouldn't
> expect too many issues.

That's excellent news - thank you :)

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)