iSCSI target management in the Mgr Dashboard

Hi all,

$SUBJECT is one of the features that we would like to tackle for the
Nautilus release, in order to reach feature parity with openATTIC.

I filed a feature issue on the tracker about this here:

  https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/35903

I would like to briefly summarize our approach, to verify we're on the
right track and we're in alignment with other ongoing upstream efforts.

For the initial implementation, we assume that an iSCSI target node has
already been deployed and set up by some installation/orchestration tool
(e.g. Ceph-Ansible, DeepSea).

For creating and managing the actual iSCSI targets, we intend to
communicate with the REST API provided by the ceph-iscsi-cli tool:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-iscsi-cli/blob/master/rbd-target-api.py

The UI will be derived from the openATTIC iSCSI target management
implementation, using a different backend approach.

As far as I know, there is currently some ongoing discussion about
choosing between the userland iSCSI service (TCMU runner) and the kernel
based implementation. Does anyone know which direction this discussion
is heading and if it will have any impact on our implementation?

I hope that the RBD target API will sufficiently encapsulate this
implementation detail, so we don't have to change anything major
depending on where things are heading, but it would be nice to have some
confirmation about this.

One downstream concern that we have to address is that we require all
Python code to be Python 3 ready. We haven't tested this yet, but I have
the suspicion that the two required Python projects (ceph-iscsi-cli and
ceph-iscsi-config) haven't been ported to Python 3 yet, correct?

Thanks,

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)