Re: iSCSI target management in the Mgr Dashboard

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 4:55 AM Lenz Grimmer <lgrimmer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> thanks a lot for your reply!
>
> On 09/13/2018 02:42 PM, Jason Dillaman wrote:
>
> >> For creating and managing the actual iSCSI targets, we intend to
> >> communicate with the REST API provided by the ceph-iscsi-cli tool:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-iscsi-cli/blob/master/rbd-target-api.py
> >

> > Great. Since this REST API isn't currently versioned (for the same
> > reasons as the dashboard REST API), I think there might be some
> > value in having the dashboard interact w/ a "rbd-target-client"-like
> > module that abstracts away all the REST calls under a clean and
> > mockable API. Otherwise, I think we would want to make sure we keep
> > an up-to-date test case in the ceph-iscsi-cli repo against all the
> > REST APIs that the dashboard is invoking.
>
> This makes sense - I think it would be ideal if both components
> (dashboard and the ceph-iscsi modules) would be part of the same git
> repo, so they can be easily developed and tested together.

The current rationale is that the ceph-iscsi repos aren't tied to any
specific Ceph release (a la ceph-ansible and other tangential repos).
It is my dream to at least one day merge the three ceph-iscsi repos
down into at least a single repo, but like a lot of the Ceph project,
there are never enough hours in the day.

--
Jason