Re: iSCSI target management in the Mgr Dashboard

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 9:25 AM Ricardo Dias <rdias@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13-09-2018 13:42, Jason Dillaman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Great. Since this REST API isn't currently versioned (for the same
> > reasons as the dashboard REST API), I think there might be some value
> > in having the dashboard interact w/ a "rbd-target-client"-like module
> > that abstracts away all the REST calls under a clean and mockable API.
> > Otherwise, I think we would want to make sure we keep an up-to-date
> > test case in the ceph-iscsi-cli repo against all the REST APIs that
> > the dashboard is invoking.
>
> When you say "rbd-target-client"-like module are you talking about a mgr
> module?

No, I was thinking it would be a python module that lives in
ceph-iscsi-cli repo that would become a dashboard dependency.

> Wouldn't developing test case for the ceph-iscsi-cli require less effort
> than developing a new mgr module to abstract it's API? Or are there
> plans to develop another tool to manage the iSCSI targets and gateways
> that will replace the ceph-iscsi-cli?

Test cases are required regardless. The dashboard would have testcases
that either mock full REST API calls and JSON responses or method
calls on a mocked object. The ceph-iscsi-cli repo would have test
cases that either inject the same REST API calls that would be used by
the dashboard (and kept up-to-date somehow through hopeful due
diligence) or we just ensure that we have test cases against all the
exposed API methods in this "rbd-target-client" module.

--
Jason