Re: Call for a history feature

On 13-8-2018 11:43, John Spray wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for something that my ZFS systems do have: a cli command
>> history...
>> I can ask: `zfs history` or `zpool history` and get a (large) list of
>> all things I have done to my storage in the past.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this in not in Ceph.
>
> We do have the audit log, which records all the commands that the
> monitor processes.  It's a special "channel" within the main cluster
> log, that's written out to a separate ceph.audit.log file by default.
> You can get at the most recent messages with "ceph log last audit"
>
> Both the audit log and the cluster log are stored in a limited sized
> buffer inside the mon, and also written out to files -- for the longer
> term record keeping it's up to the admin's log rotation etc to keep
> the record.  The audit log can get quite spammy if you have e.g.
> external monitoring tools that hit the command interface.

Right,

It is indeed rather spammy....
	ceph history <filter>
would be a nice one at that.

That is the audit.log that I also can see in dashboard....

Yes, I have dashboard up and running on FreeBSD for Luminous and I'm
contemplating how to do it for Nautilus in a way that it can be packeged
in FreeBSD. Perhaps I will have to ask the user to "install" it manually
by going to the dashboard dir and execute an install script.

Thanx for the pointer,
--WjW