Re: Call for a history feature

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 10:26 AM Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for something that my ZFS systems do have: a cli command
> history...
> I can ask: `zfs history` or `zpool history` and get a (large) list of
> all things I have done to my storage in the past.
>
> As far as I can tell, this in not in Ceph.

We do have the audit log, which records all the commands that the
monitor processes.  It's a special "channel" within the main cluster
log, that's written out to a separate ceph.audit.log file by default.
You can get at the most recent messages with "ceph log last audit"

Both the audit log and the cluster log are stored in a limited sized
buffer inside the mon, and also written out to files -- for the longer
term record keeping it's up to the admin's log rotation etc to keep
the record.  The audit log can get quite spammy if you have e.g.
external monitoring tools that hit the command interface.

John