Re: 10.2.11 Handover to QE

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM, Nathan Cutler <ncutler@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> (I'm still on bereavement leave, but here goes. . . .)
>
> I think there's an expectation that releases are thoroughly tested. That
> means our *real* "best effort" is made, by carefully preparing the release,
> getting leads to sign off, and putting it through QE, to ensure that the
> release is free of regressions.
>
> It is of course possible to cut "releases" often, even frivolously for every
> single backport PR that gets merged, but a price is paid for that: instead
> of *us* doing the regression testing *before* the release, the *users* do
> the regression testing *after* the release!
>
> Alfredo is right, though, that the longer the time interval between point
> releases, the more pressure to get "this" or "that" fix in because everyone
> assumes that it will be a long time until the next release. This tends to
> exacerbate the delays because regression testing either doesn't start, or
> has to be restarted after "this" or "that" PR is merged.
>
> The whole "when to release" problem is a political one, and any solution is
> necessarily going to be political as well.
>
> The current status quo is clear: we release when we're good and ready. We
> try hard to avoid regressions. (That doesn't prevent us from engaging in
> some hand-wringing and soul-searching every time a release gets delayed, of
> course.)
>
> What I would rather talk about is something I will call the "window of
> danger". The inability to cut releases from SHA1 continually threatens to
> thwart our careful efforts to prevent regressions, because it creates this
> window (from beginning of integration testing until the official RPMs/DEBs
> are built) during which regression-introducing PRs can get merged to the
> release branch and become part of the official release packages.
>
> While I still firmly believe that implementing the missing release-from-SHA1
> feature is what is needed to eliminate this window of danger once and for
> all, we don't have that and, apparently, will not for some time.

Thank you for taking the time to reply even though you are on
bereavement. I'm currently heavily tasked with ceph-volume features
and fixes,
but I can offer to put the effort to allow releases from a SHA1 if you
think that would alleviate the backport team's work.

I know that we've had releases where other things have crept in. Even
when we all have signed off on the release, because the release has
taken me up to
a week (!!!) to get out, in which case, things get merged and there is
nothing I can do to prevent this.

Lets assume for a second that we can cut a release from a SHA1. Do you
think that would allow us to cut a release, say, every three weeks if
there are any fixes/backports
getting in?