Re: 10.2.11 Handover to QE

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 11:07 AM Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > A big +1000 here to have releases as often as possible (or with a set
>> > cadence of N weeks), without having to email every lead, on multiple
>> > rounds and
>> > get into situations where we really don't know when a release can be
>> > cut (like this one)
>> >
>> > With the exception of major releases of course.
>>
>> What would it take to do this?
>
> We discussed train point releases in the Ceph Leadership team meeting
> this morning. People are interested; the major concern is whether the
> (very small!) team of backport volunteers can wrangle enough time on a
> predictable basis to make it viable, or else expand to enough people.

Isn't the backport team usually overwhelmed because they have a huge
backlog of issues they need
to address for a given release?

My preference is not for them to move quicker, but to get a release
when backports (or direct fixes) are available in the release branch,
and
the recurring threshold for release is met (e.g. every two weeks).

If no backports (or fixed issues) are present when the release date is
reached then there is no need to release (this is fine!).

This seems different from what I see, which is trying to wrangle leads
to agree on a release based on things they want/need to get included.
In which
case, yes, the backport team gets to be overwhelmed again, because it
means that different components want different pending backports or
even pending
PRs that haven't made it to master yet and are being worked on.

Nathan, maybe you can clarify here a bit if any alternative would ease
the (already) fantastic job you guys do?