Re: Upstream tracking tool

Hi John,

On 04/23/2018 04:57 PM, John Spray wrote:

> I'm reasonable comfortable using proprietary tools for ephemeral-ish
> things like code review and feature/release tracking, but less
> comfortable using them for tracking bugs and backports, where the
> durable reference from the git history to the tool is more important.

Agree, the references noted in the git commit history (esp. bug IDs)
must be preserved, to be able to figure out how and why a certain change
occurred. The best way for maintaining these would be to put the
existing tracker into "read-only" mode, once a switch to a replacement
tool has been made.

> With proprietary tools, I think we should aim to maintain a posture
> where if they go evil, we can quickly drop them and move on without
> any long term pain.

This is likely not easily achievable. Even with github you can of course
migrate your git repos elsewhere, but you'd lose the entire pull request
review history (which contains a lot of useful discussion). And while
most tools support creating a database dump of your history and assets,
it's likely highly impossible to convert and import it elsewhere.

> Having two trackers for bugs vs. features is awkward, but we're
> already in that situation with redmine+Trello, so I'm pretty open to
> adopting Jira as a Trello replacement, as long as we actually stop
> using Trello (don't want to increase the overall number of tools).
> I'm not a big fan of Trello so I'd happily make that jump tomorrow if
> enough people were into it.
>
> If we ever want a unified tracker for everything then I think it needs
> to be free software, and it'll need to be featureful enough to satisfy
> the Jira/Trello itch -- I'm not sure if that exists today, it's
> possible that redmine is as good as it gets in the free tool space?
> We should also consider whether there are redmine extensions available
> that give us the feature tracking functionality that we would like.

The Agile plugin to Redmine looked promising, but doesn't seem to be
fully open source.

Note that I had a quick call with Sage about JIRA yesterday, I gave him
a quick demo of how the openATTIC project uses it and we discussed a few
aspects. One of the alternative tools we talked about was Taiga - Sage
had actually set up a Ceph project there, but never started using it:
https://tree.taiga.io/project/liewegas-ceph/

He has now given me admin access so I can take a look and evaluate it.
If it matches our requirements, we might start using it for tracking the
dashboard features in order to gather experience/knowledge.

Sage also mentioned github projects on IRC -
https://help.github.com/articles/about-project-boards/ - I wonder if
this would be a viable alternative to Trello cards? At least it provides
a much tighter integration with the github users and pull requests, even
if we're not using the built-in issue tracker.

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)