Re: Upstream tracking tool

[Moving to ceph-devel]

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, Kai Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start the "tool's" discussion once again. I attended the
> Ceph Day in London last week and after a few beers after the event we
> started to talk about how Ceph upstream does issue and feature tracking.
> I had those conversation already several times at different events but
> every time the outcome was the same - "Should be improved!".
>
> The problem here is, that Trello is not made for what we're currently
> trying to use it for. On the other hand lots of those cards only have a
> single "headline" without any former context. This makes it really hard
> to follow and contribute. Also the linking between the tracker and
> trello is manual work.
>
> I would like to start a discussion about Jira again. It's possible to
> request an Open Source license which makes it possible to use Jira
> completely unlimited including all the Plugins. The
> "dashboard/openATTIC" team did that for many years already -
> tracker.openattic.org
>
> Within Jira bugs, features, improvements and as well as releases could
> be easily tracked. We would reduce the tool suite from two total
> different tools to just one tool which could be used for everything. I
> would volunteer here to help with any questions regarding Jira or the
> request process.

(Note that there is a third tool here--github--that probably isn't going
away.)

I'm game for a better tool.  The main friction with change here is around
the bug tracking in redmine, just because there are so many issues there
covering such a large time period, but if we're talking about
feature/radomap/release tracking (which are already handled outside of
redmine) then I don't see that as a problem.

I'm personally not super thrilled about jira because it's a closed
platform, even if they do offer free accounts for open source projects.
(Yes, github and trello are no better.)

Right now the only trello board I really use is

	https://trello.com/b/ugTc2QFH/ceph-backlog

and I only use it for a high-level view of feature work across the
project.  The lists are per-topic or subsystem, which isn't (I think?) how
these things are normally shown (i.e., it's not kanban).  The only other
thing it does it loosely track what is targetted at the next release via
colored labels.  That's all pretty basic, and to be honest I don't know
that I need much more.

On the other hand, it's not very useful for other contributors (especially
new ones) to come look at.  That's partly because there is no detail
written for the cards, but that could easily be fixed by writing up some
notes for each item, linking to the relevant CDM discussions or etherpad
notes, and so on.

So I guess my question are we looking for out of the tool(s), and what
is currently missing?

sage