Re: Better anticipation for minor releases

On 02/02/2018 08:55 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 10:15:14AM -0700, Ken Dreyer wrote:
This is just my opinion: we should have a quick "bump commit + tag"
Jenkins job that pushes the Git tag live as soon as possible. In
particular we should not wait for packages to be build + signed +
published on download.ceph.com before pushing the bump commit + tag
live.

Bumping and tagging in Git should take a minute or two, whereas
building, signing, and rsync'ing all the packages for that tag takes
hours. I think this time-intensive process causes the Git history to
diverge for too long.
Thought:
- Tag or branch a candidate commit for going INTO the QE phase, say
   v12.2.3-rcX.
- Run QE on that tag.
- If QE passes entirely, create final tag at same commit as rc tag.

That assumes it's possible the release tooling supports releasing something other than the tip of a branch (i.e. a SHA1 or tag), though, right?

Nathan