Re: Better anticipation for minor releases

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 10:15:14AM -0700, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>> This is just my opinion: we should have a quick "bump commit + tag"
>> Jenkins job that pushes the Git tag live as soon as possible. In
>> particular we should not wait for packages to be build + signed +
>> published on download.ceph.com before pushing the bump commit + tag
>> live.
>>
>> Bumping and tagging in Git should take a minute or two, whereas
>> building, signing, and rsync'ing all the packages for that tag takes
>> hours. I think this time-intensive process causes the Git history to
>> diverge for too long.
> Thought:
> - Tag or branch a candidate commit for going INTO the QE phase, say
>   v12.2.3-rcX.
> - Run QE on that tag.
> - If QE passes entirely, create final tag at same commit as rc tag.

+1 on this, we already have test suites that need to pass for release,
tagging/branch for specific
release would make it easier to test/release in controlled way, then
working on tip of the stable branch
where unexpected prs can get merged. Also we should freeze other
branches so that commit
goes through only one branch during the dot release cycle until its out.