Re: rgw: possibility to put several small S3 objects into single rados object

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 07:35:26PM +0300, Aleksei Gutikov wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> While rgw bucket index, theoretically, with reasonable latency can
> handle up to 10M objects (100 shards of 100k each),
> and rgw user's bucket index can handle, theoretically again, up to 100k
> buckets.
One of the scaling concerns I'd talked about before was bucket indices:
even with shards as you note, performance of large buckets isn't great.
I have pondered about how to redesign the index for performance, and one
of the better performing options I decided at least for the moment was
probably going to be via multiple levels of index.

> Or, maybe it is possible to store small pieces of data in omap?
> As I understand space overhead would be much smaller in this case.
> And what about backfilling and remapping for omap?
I'd go for the OMAP rather than packing into a single RADOS object.
However, how small are you talking about?
Beyond 128 bytes I think it would still be better in an object.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer