Re: rgw: possibility to put several small S3 objects into single rados object

Hi Alex,

Certainly it cannot do so now.  This detail would I guess need to be
represented in the RGW object's manifest.  I'm not convinced it would
be helpful in a near time frame, though?

Matt

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Aleksei Gutikov
<aleksey.gutikov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> While rgw bucket index, theoretically, with reasonable latency can handle up
> to 10M objects (100 shards of 100k each),
> and rgw user's bucket index can handle, theoretically again, up to 100k
> buckets.
>
> Radosgw can split huge s3 objects into several rados objects.
> Can it on the other hand put several small files into one rados object?
>
> Is there any design restrictions that will not allow to implement it?
> For example add offset field to index omap record and manage pool of
> opened containter objects for parallel small put requests.
>
> Main advantage, as I understand, would be significant decrease of the rados
> re-balancing time in case of large amount of small s3 objects.
> And, also, smaller space overhead.
>
> Or, maybe it is possible to store small pieces of data in omap?
> As I understand space overhead would be much smaller in this case.
> And what about backfilling and remapping for omap?
>

> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Best regards,
> Aleksei Gutikov
> Software Engineer | synesis.ru | Minsk. BY
> --

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.
315 West Huron Street, Suite 140A