Re: C++11, std::list::size(), and trusty

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:49 AM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> when running the binaries built using GCC 5.1 in an env where an old
>> libstdc++ (typically comes with GCC 4.8):
>>
>> $ rados
>> rados: relocation error: /usr/lib/ceph/libceph-common.so.0: symbol
>> _ZTINSt8ios_base7failureB5cxx11E, version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined
>> in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference
>>
>> because libstdc++ introduced a new ABI which is incompatible with the old one.
>> see https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_dual_abi.html
>> and https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2015/02/05/gcc5-and-the-c11-abi/ .
>>
>> in other words, we need to either 1) link statically with libstdc++.so or
>> 2) include it in librados2 on distros with GCC version less than 5.1. because
>> ceph-osd (and other daemons packages) => ceph-base => ceph-common =>
>> python-rados => librados2.
>
> For 1), what does that imply for packages' debuginfo sizes?

since we don't compile the source of libstdc++, i don't think this
will increase the size of debuginfo.

> For 2), where would libstdc++.so ship in the filesystem? What does
> that mean for other applications that would load libstdc++.so and also
> link with ceph?

if we just statically link libceph-common against libstdc++, and let
daemons link againt libceph-common, the problem will be solved. that's
actually 2) but after a second thought, i think it's a better
approach. please note, the daemons are linked against libceph-common
statically. [OT] we could let daemon link libceph-common dynamically,
but the downside is that the daemon will need to depend on a client
side library: librados2. which is a little bit weird. but the upside
is: this will shrink the size of debug-info and the size of daemons,
as the daemon will not include ceph-common statically.

--
Regards
Kefu Chai