Re: C++11, std::list::size(), and trusty

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 1:47 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> We noticed a big performance regression when switching some code to
>> use list::size() because although C++11 promizes that it is O(1), some of
>> the libstdc++'s out there are still O(n).  This PR aims to fix that
>>
>>         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/18863
>>
>> by adding the various devtoolset packages as dependencies to pull in
>> updated build toolchains.  For el7 that's devtoolset-7-{binutils,gcc-c++}.

when running the binaries built using GCC 5.1 in an env where an old
libstdc++ (typically comes with GCC 4.8):

$ rados
rados: relocation error: /usr/lib/ceph/libceph-common.so.0: symbol
_ZTINSt8ios_base7failureB5cxx11E, version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined
in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

because libstdc++ introduced a new ABI which is incompatible with the old one.
see https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_dual_abi.html
and https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2015/02/05/gcc5-and-the-c11-abi/ .

in other words, we need to either 1) link statically with libstdc++.so or
2) include it in librados2 on distros with GCC version less than 5.1. because
ceph-osd (and other daemons packages) => ceph-base => ceph-common =>
python-rados => librados2.

i think the 2) approach is better. what do you think?

--
Regards
Kefu Chai