Re: Ceph-deploy for FreeBSD

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> On 21-4-2017 09:33, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> > sysvinit => init-ceph?
> >
> > If that is the case and is "abandoned", I could start making it more to
> > my liking to use it under FreeBSD. FreeBSD does not (yet) have this wild
> > choice of init systems.
>
> Right,
>
> Did some digging into this.
> 1) init-ceph.in sort of looks abondoned. There are very few changes to
> this file during 2016 and 2017, mostly by me for FreeBSD, and some
> others have to do with the move to cmake.
>
> 2) I checked in our cluster, and yes the ceph.conf file only holds
> global settings. There is only a global definition of the monitor hosts
> and that is all there is about hosts.
>
> So I'll have to figure out what to do in ceph-deploy, ceph-disk and or
> init-ceph.
> Least invasive in this would be to modify init-ceph to analyze
> /var/lib/ceph for what should be started.

I think the primary user of init-ceph at this point is vstart.sh;
developers use it to start and stop daemons from their source directory.

init-ceph suffers from the fact that it maintains compatibility back
through its original version, circa 2007, when we defined all daemons in
ceph.conf, and every variation of weirdness since then.  Since I
don't think many/any distros are using it by default, now, I think we can
probably afford to drop some of that old cruft and modernize it a bit.
Unfortunatly vstart is making use of the daemons-defined-in-conf thing,
though, but it wouldn't bother me to modernize vstart, either.

sage