Re: Ceph-deploy for FreeBSD

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 08:11:38PM +0200, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> > Hi Willem:
> >
> > It sounds like you are trying to use the sysvinit scripts? These have been
> > unmaintained (presumably with lots of weeds growing up) since infernalis.
> > Until now I have been assuming that all init systems other than systemd
> > (sysvinit, upstart, etc.) are deprecated in Ceph.
>
> Slightly OT, but AFAICT http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/18305 still
> applies to the official ceph.com Kraken Debian packages, i.e., ceph-base
> installs and activates the init.d script, which then races against the
> (udev-activated) ceph-osd systemd units. If anything except systemd is
> indeed deprecated, I wonder why the Debian packages (still) ship AND
> activate both systemd units and Sys V init scripts?
>
> (Note that the proposed fix probably does not apply as is anymore,
> because ceph-disk and the systemd units have been changed in the
> meantime).

I think the issue with Debian (generally) is that it "supports" multiple
init systems (sysvinit and systemd both), even though systemd is the one
installed default.  Which means we ship the sysvinit script and systemd
unit files.

(There may very well be a bug in how we "activate" them, though!)

sage