Re: new naming convention for building repos and binaries from branches

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Kamble, Nitin A
> <Nitin.Kamble@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What we are going to start with *today* is to build every branch that
> is prefixed with "wip-" since
> that is the implicit/historical naming convention for branches.
>
> We will include all the release branches (e.g. hammer, infernalis,
> jewel, kraken) as well
> as master.
>
> This will allow the "do not build this" branches to just be anything
> not prefixed with "wip-" (there are already a few of those
> today, like dnm- and testing-)

That seems okay for now.  I think this might have gotten lost in the
earlier thread, though:

Why don't we take this opportunity to create a ceph-ci.git and lock down
ceph.git?

 - ceph.git would contain only official branches (master, jewel, etc.)
 - ceph-ci.git would have all the branches that need to get build for
   ci purposes.
 - ci would build everything in ceph.git and ceph-ci.git that doesn't have
   a / in it
 - if you don't want a branch built, don't push it to either one; push it
   to your private clone (which is what you should be doing anyway!)
 - restrict access to ceph.git to core developers (and trusted robots)
 - grant access to ceph-ci to a broader set of developers (and robots)

Right now, I think this requires that

1) shaman and/or jenkins build branches in both ceph.git and ceph-ci.git

and then at our leisure,

2) we delete or move all non-official branches over to ceph-gi.git
(prefixing historical branches with old/ or similar), and
3) we restrict ceph.git access.

?
sage