Re: new naming convention for building repos and binaries from branches

Someone in the middle said:
> >If we're really concerned about not building

I think that's key.  We build a lot more stuff, a lot
more often, than I think most people actually need or use.
Which means we wind up waiting for builds to complete
that nobody will ever use.

I think the natural progression of things is:

stage 1.	coded up, ready to share, not ready to build or test.
		(might be being built out of stream,  etc.)
		early stage of collaboration, code review, etc.
		[ I think people currently do this in various
		different ways... ]
stage 2.	ready to test / build / for a LIMITED set of
		architectures (often just one.)
		start of testing, don't need all architectures yet.
		OR, failed on one architecture, want to just test *that*
		architecture.  [ We don't currently have a way to
		do this, but I bet at least half of our builds could
		work this way. ]
stage 3.	ready to test / build / for ALL architectures.
		about to commit fix to master / general distribution,
		known to work on one architecture, but want to actually
		do the thorough test on everything.

Doing this by special branch names seems a bit clumsy to me.  I suppose
we could have "nobuild-FOO", "ubuntuonly-FOO", "buildeverywhere-FOO".
But it seems more natural to me to have some kind of prefix
matching/configuration thing that the builder could use to the same
effect.  Then progressing wip-FOO from stage 2 to stage 3 could be just
a matter of the programmer adjusting the filter for the "wip-foo" from
"ubuntuonly" to "buildeverywhere", then the automation building the
identical source on the other architectures (and *not* rebuilding on
the original architecture for which perfectly good builds don't need to
be repeated.)

					-Marcus Watts