Re: /var/lib/ceph/*/*/config

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> On 27-01-16 15:59, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Loic pointed out that adding a new config file that is overrides/combines
> > with the global config makes our already-complicated config infrastructure
> > even more so.  And it turned out to be more complicated to implement than
> > I'd hoped.  On the other hand, I think there are valid use-cases for a
> > global config, e.g.:
> >
> >  - most config on the osd disk itself
> >  - /etc/ceph/ceph.conf containing crush_location and mon_host
> >
> > ...and with a single config I'm not sure how we'd get the datacenter
> > location set properly.
> >

> Yes, you probably want the mon_host variable in a global config. We
> might and I say *might* want to look at a DNS lookup at some time?
>
> A lookup for 'ceph-monitor' in the current DNS search domain. But that
> might be offtopic here.

Yeah, I think if we make standard practice setting up DNS with an A or
AAAA record for each monitor then we can avoid a global mon_host.  But
there's still the crush location piece...

> > Anyway, I have two versions implemented.  The first just adds
> > $data_dir/config to the search pathh:
> >
> > 	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7377
> >

> I like the first patch, but it doesn't seem to merge the config files,
> right?
>
> If a global /etc/ceph/ceph.conf is found it doesn't search any further.
>
> > The second adds the extra_config infrastructure.  It's just the last patch
> > that is different:
> >
> > 	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7378
> >

> The --extra-config seems weird to me. Isn't there a way where you supply
> --config multiple times with multiple files?

Right now config is a search path, and when it finds a match, it stops and
uses that config file exclusively.  extra_config is a way to merge two of
them.  I agree it's not ideal...

An alternative approach would be to support 'include <file>' so that the
$data_dir/config, if present, would include something from /etc/ceph.

sage