Re: /var/lib/ceph/*/*/config

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016, Haomai Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       I think we should add an optional 'config' file location to the
>       config
>       search path.  This would allow you to put customized options for
>       an
>       individual daemon in the daemon data directory.  Or, you could
>       avoid
>       putting a config in /etc/ceph entirely, so that the daemon data
>       is
>       completely self-contained on the device.  That would streamline
>       boot disk
>       failure (just reinstall OS and ceph package) or drive swaps
>       between failed
>       host hardware.
>
>       What do you think?
>

> Totally agreed!
>
> Actually we have implemented alike thing downstream, ceph-osd,ceph-mon will
> check ceph.conf in the local dir(/var/lib/ceph/*/*/ceph.conf) then overwrite
> existing config values. That's said, it will load system ceph
> config(/etc/ceph/ceph.conf) file then load local ceph.conf.

The one reservation about this direction is that there are a few devices
where I'm not sure how to attach the metadata (keyring, conf, and other
random bits in the osd_data dir) to the device: the SPDK NVMe driver, and
kinetic.  These are somewhat obscure, but I'm curious if there are other
ideas floating around about how this should be approached...

sage