From: "Joshua Schmid" <jschmid@xxxxxxx>
To: skinjo@xxxxxxxxxx, "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ceph Development" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 5:11:34 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal: data-at-rest encryption

On 08/28/2015 01:32 AM, Shinobu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just question.
> If the key is broken, how could ceph (maybe named kss standing for key
> store server :0) recover, and where information to restore it could be
> retrieved?
> Any blueprint?

Hi,

i don't know if i got your question right.
Are you asking what ceph will do if the keyserver is down and where to
get the information from on how to restore the OSD?

Well, there will be a timeout if the KSS is unreachable. But in a
productive environment it might not be a bad idea to add HA to your KSS.

> Shinobu
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi Sage,

>> Andrew
>> we'd
>>>
>>> Thank for having a look!
>>> I think this should do:
>>>

>> https://github.com/jschmid1/ceph/commit/7dd64c70bcb8d986568d6f379a6fbf9a0e40a441
>>>
>>> Service of choice can now be set in the ceph.conf and will be handled
>>> separately. This is currently only for unlocking/mapping but will be
>>> extended for locking/new if this solution is acceptable.
>>
>> Yep!  It'd probably be much cleaner to wrap this up in a class with
>> fetch_key() and create_key(), etc. methods so that there is only one place
>> that has to instantiate the implemetnation based on type.

>>> Like deo does it? (From the deo README)
>>>
>>> """
>>> Second, we will add a new random key to the pre-existing LUKS encrypted
>>> disk and then encrypt it using Deo in a known location.
>>> """
>>>

>>>   It looks like the ftps
>> hte
>>>
>>> Its totally unauthenticated, thats right. It'd be possible to require
>>> USER/PASS for ftp.
>>
>> Yeah.  If we have a general method to store a key-fetching-key on the disk
>> (in the LUKS table?  I forget if this was practical) on the LUKS disk the
>> might work?  Hopefully such that various backends can all use it (e.g., as
>> the ftps password, or as a mon key)..
>>
>> sage
>> --

Freundliche Grüße - Kind regards,
Joshua Schmid
Trainee - Storage
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nürnberg