Re: Proposal: data-at-rest encryption

Hi Joshua!

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, Joshua Schmid wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> just as a quick preface:
>
> I'm fairly new to ceph, so forgive me any blunders :) But back to the topic.
>
> after following several discussions on how to implement data-at-rest
> encryption in ceph i want to add my two cents.
>

> What is used:
>
> a dedicated FTPS server for key-handling
>

> How it will work:
>
> Specify your key-server in ceph.conf.
> Preparing and activating an OSD as usual via --dmcrypt. The newly
> created key will be uploaded and deleted locally. On the initial unlock
> it will already be retrieved via network.
>

> Why is this a good way:
>
> Taking in consideration that MONs are not the best place to put the keys
> imho, a dedicated machine is a good place to put them since you are able
> to take care of additional security arrangements.
>

> What needs attention:
>
> - The dedicated server is a single point of failure.
> - If you add more servers, is rsync enough?
> - Prevent swapping on key retrieval. (mlockall)
>

> This is what i did so far:
>
> https://github.com/jschmid1/ceph/commit/fee26890c24bd3a7b8865295546297e3f144e6d0?diff=unified
>

> ANY feedback is welcome :)

Overall the ceph-disk changes look pretty good, and it looks like Andrew
and David have both reviewed.  My only real concern/request is that the
key server be as pluggable as possible.  You're using ftps here, but we'd
also like to allow deo[1], or even the mon config-key service.

With the original mon proposal, we also wanted an additional layer of
security (beyond simply access to the storage network) by
storing some key-fetching-key on the disk.  It looks like the ftps
access is unauthenticated... is that right?  I would assume (I'm not hte
expert!) that most key management systems require some credentials to
store/fetch keys?

sage