Re: Proposal: data-at-rest encryption

On 08/27/2015 02:49 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi Joshua!

Hi Sage,

> Overall the ceph-disk changes look pretty good, and it looks like Andrew
> and David have both reviewed.  My only real concern/request is that the
> key server be as pluggable as possible.  You're using ftps here, but we'd
> also like to allow deo[1], or even the mon config-key service.

Thank for having a look!
I think this should do:

https://github.com/jschmid1/ceph/commit/7dd64c70bcb8d986568d6f379a6fbf9a0e40a441

Service of choice can now be set in the ceph.conf and will be handled
separately. This is currently only for unlocking/mapping but will be
extended for locking/new if this solution is acceptable.

> With the original mon proposal, we also wanted an additional layer of
> security (beyond simply access to the storage network) by
> storing some key-fetching-key on the disk.

Like deo does it? (From the deo README)

"""
Second, we will add a new random key to the pre-existing LUKS encrypted
disk and then encrypt it using Deo in a known location.
"""

  It looks like the ftps
> access is unauthenticated... is that right?  I would assume (I'm not hte
> expert!) that most key management systems require some credentials to
> store/fetch keys?

Its totally unauthenticated, thats right. It'd be possible to require
USER/PASS for ftp.

--
Freundliche Grüße - Kind regards,
Joshua Schmid