Re: [ceph-users] keyvaluestore backend metadata overhead

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe more detail number can help us a bit.

Here's what we're testing with and what we observe:

Hardware:
 2x6-core hyperthreaded Xeon E5-2620 v2 2.10GHz CPU
 8x8 GiB DDR3 RAM
 4x4 TB 7200 RPM 8 ms 183 MB/s SAS rotary disks

Software:
 CentOS 7
 CEPH 0.91
 4 OSDs
 osd pool default size = 1 (just for testing!)
 keyvaluestore op threads = 16
 keyvaluestore backend = mysql (our own backend)
 one MySQL process per OSD, each writing to a separate disk

Test setup:
 rados bench on a fresh install
 256 concurrent writes
 360 seconds
 2700 byte objects, and 1 MiB objects
 measure throughput with rados bench
 measure CPU usage by observing top
 measure max concurrent transaction submits by instrumenting the
KeyValueDB interface

With this setup, we observe that, with 2700 byte objects:

 7.4 MiB/s (~2900 ops/s) throughput,
 170%/170%/60%/60% OSD CPU usage,
 200%/200%/65%/65% MySQL CPU usage, and
 3/3/1/1 maximum concurrent transaction submits;

and with 1 MiB objects:

 50.7 MiB/s (~51 ops/s) throughput,
 14%/14%/4%/4% OSD CPU usage,
 50%/50%/15%/15% MySQL CPU usage, and
 3/3/1/1 maximum concurrent transaction submits.

We know that our transaction concurrency measurement is not buggy, as
it will consistently report up to `keyvaluestore op threads`
concurrent submits both on OSD startup on this same hardware, and
during benchmarking in a resource-constrained VM.  We are pretty sure
MySQL is not the bottleneck, since we've been able to throw much more
at it (concurrently); at least 10 kops/s per instance.  (Sequentially
it is not so good; hence our fixation on the low transaction
concurrency!)

Let me know if there are any other figures which would be helpful in
diagnosing why the OSDs are not issuing as many concurrent
transactions as we'd like, or why they are using so much CPU.  Thanks
for your help.

- Chris